Do Good Work

Before the first bout, ringside
His words cut through chaos
“Do good work”, said Coach
Seemed a good place to start -
Simple words of encouragement.
Alas, this life mocks simplicity.

Stepping into the battleground
Hubris made me wonder
It’ll yield to me, kneel to me
I hop, spring, take a swing
I miss spectacularly, and
Take a loaded glove square.

Bashed bloody and senseless
Here I lie on the mat
Hands up, shielding in vain
Trying to survive in the game
A question burning hot
How do I survive this barrage?

For as I take in cheap shots,
And the jeering from the crowds,
And the debilitating self doubt,
And the crushing fear of defeat,
In these monstrously unjust odds,
How do I “do good work”?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift...

1st Jan 2015 - A Study in Irony

Funny Evening